Friday 24 April 2009

I posted this a few days ago in another blog I have but I'd like to know what anyone thinks here too.

Do you believe that asking someone if they are married is a valid, perfectly acceptable question to ask someone when meeting them for the first time? To be honest, I don't. I feel it's a bit personal for first time/introductory questions.
A few nights ago I got to meet this new guy who is around the same age as me etc. One of the questions he asked me was if I was married. I replied no, to which I got an 'oh'. Then I was *told* "SO, you must have a girlfriend, right?" to which I replied "no". Cue awkwardness and me telling this telling this random guy it's actually because I live with my boyfriend. Not that I mind telling people. I'm not exactly in the closet. It's just that I could see in his face and reaction to my first answer how he had already judged me. by the second response, I already felt awkward and judged and by the third I simply wanted to get out of there.
I don't think it's right to ask someone that question when you meet them for the first time - unless you're a random person getting hit on in a bar or something. That's what a ring is for. Look and you'll see your answer. I know I'm entering that stage of life (I'm 29) were a few of my friends are getting married, some settling a bit and some people my age already married, but is this what I am to expect now? That by 29 I am assumed to be married or if not, then planning it with my assumed girlfriend/fiance? I'm not going to lie to the guy as I have nothing to hide but I don't think anyone should be made to feel judged and have to explain they're life choices in an introduction.

No comments: